The Trinity Almshouses, in the Mile End Road, London, E1, were erected by the Corporation of the Trinity House, in 1695, for decayed masters and commanders of ships, mates, and pilots, and their wives or widows. The thirty houses have characteristic shipping on their roofs; there is a chapel, and on the green is a statue of Captain Robert Sandes, a benefactor to the establishment; he died 1721.
The buildings are listed as follows;
1695. 2 rows of cottages facing central courtyard with detached chapel at north end. Red brick with tiled roofs. 1 storey and basement. Wood block and bracketed eaves cornice. Pediments over 3rd pair (from north) in each row which project with brick rusticated quoins. Entrances coupled under wide hoods on carved brackets.
Flush frame windows. The ends facing main road are of 2 storeys. Each at ground floor has 2 windows with stone architraves and carved keystones, rusticated quoins
at angles and stone modillioned cornice with inscribed central cartouche. Above, a brick niche with stone architrave in narrow brick gable surmounted by pediment
with stone mouldings and vases. Entrance to courtyard has iron gates with wrought iron railings, stone piers and curving brick wall.
The chapel is 2 storeys externally. stucco with rusticated quoins and ground storey. Front furnished with modillioned cornice and pediment, with cartouche of William III in tympanum. Entrance with segmental pediment approached by flight
of stone steps curving outwards with iron balustrade. At rear, later addition in brick (patched after war damage).
(The northern C19 ranges now demolished.)
The Trinity Green Almshouses, Chapel, gates, railings, walls and piers, form a group.